Kindness

 

 


“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
-Ephesians 4:32

Kindness doesn’t cost anything and it’s something that we all have the opportunity to give. Yet, so many times I have come across people who instead of being kind chose to be angry, bitter and sometimes simply…mean.

It’s something that can be heartbreaking to watch. To see someone lash out at another with words or actions that serve no other purpose than to hurt. It's never made any sense to me.

I believe in basic human kindness and goodness. It seems that most people want to be the best person they can be and to treat others with compassion and love. But if you have a bitter or angry person in your life, you will likely experience the darker side of human nature.

Many times we might feel blind sighted by these people in our life. These are the people we sometimes feel we have to “walk on eggshells around”.

Although I ground myself in scriptural truths such as Ephesians 4:32 I also remember things I learned in college psychology and pastoral counseling in seminary about people. Many times when people lash out at others, it is because they are hurting inside. As a Christian, a friend and a pastor I have seen this truth play out more times than I can count. It of course doesn’t make it any easier on the receiving end, but it gives us a bit of a deeper understanding of where the anger and bitterness is coming from.

What else does the bible say about kindness?

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them.” Matthew 7:12 

“Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

“For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” Galatians 5:13

“And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” Galatians 6:9-10

“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.”  1 Thessalonians 5:11

I was at the grocery store one day. It had been a long day and I just wanted to get home. I felt tired, worn out and discouraged....and if I'm totally honest a bit cranky. As I waited to be next I was consumed by my own thoughts of the day. While I was thinking I was also becoming frustrated at how slow the line was moving. Thankfully I also realized why. I noticed the person in front of me was having an issue at the checkout. Apparently they weren't having a great day either! They were short a dollar or so for their groceries and were getting ready to take something off their bill. I grabbed the little bit of money they needed and handed  it to the check out attendant. The person was so appreciative that you would have thought I paid for a cart full of groceries. It was only about a dollar. Seeing her smile made me smile. My bad day suddenly had some sunshine. Giving this other person joy cheered me up!

The story didn’t end there. When I stepped up to check out, my bill was about $20. As I was loading my cart and the check out attendant announced my total, the man behind me quickly handed her the money! I was completely taken by surprise. I had the money and tried to give it to the attendant but the man insisted that he wanted to do that for me! “why?” I asked. He said because it touched him that I helped the person out in front of me! “But that was only a dollar!” I said. He told me it wasn’t the amount, it was the gesture and that he truly felt moved to pay for my groceries. I was completely touched, as well as the cashier and the two people behind us. Suddenly this quiet line of people had smiles and kind words for each other. The cashier said the whole thing just made her day!

I walked to my car with tears in my eyes. I was so moved by the chain of events that I sat in my car and cried. “Lord help us to love each other like this more. Help us to see each other more.”

I had truly felt the Spirit in that moment move me to grab my dollar and hand it to the cashier. I wondered as I drove home how many times had I decided to allow my day or my feelings to blind me from the ways in which I could love those around me? How many other times had I been so lost in my own thoughts that I missed the need right in front of me?

“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32

We have a choice when we feel the pains of life pushing on us. We can chose to be bitter and downcast or we can step outside of ourselves and love. Jesus knows we sometimes struggle with the things in this life. We are often reminded of how we need to treat each other in scripture, because God knows we need this reminder.

The next time you are feeling downcast; the next time you feel sadness or even bitterness get a hold of you, reach out in love to another. You will be surprised how your love to them has a powerful effect on you…..and maybe even the people around you as well.

Chose to be kind.

-Pastor Patti

 

Comments

Popular Posts