In His Arms


I have had this statue of Jesus since I was a child. It’s moved with me 14 times, traveling through three different states, usually coming to rest either on my nightstand or dresser. Often times it is the first thing I see when I get up and the last thing I look at before I go to bed.
The other night as I was getting into bed I glanced at the small statue and remembered the thought I had as a child…. “That is Jesus holding me!” As I pulled the blankets up and started to get comfortable in bed, I realized I didn’t think of the statue in that way anymore. When I looked at it, I saw an image of Jesus holding “a child”.

“When did it stop being me?” I thought to myself, as I lie in bed. When did I stop imagining Jesus was holding me in his arms and why? Did I get too grown up or mature or simply just too self-dependent? When did I begin to lack the ability to feel the vulnerable sense that I still needed to be held in the Saviors arms?

I pondered this as I closed my eyes, still picturing the gentle statue in my mind. Perhaps that is what many of us do over time, without even realizing it. We slowly move away from picturing ourselves in the Saviors arms. As our lives progress and we build our own self-confidence, understandings and abilities we slowly slip out of the arms of Jesus like a squirmy toddler. We mature and grow, all good things to do as we get older; but in our rush to do so, we let go of something so foundational and powerful. We leave behind our childlike perspective of God. We become over burdened by the world and all of its strife, that we no longer see Jesus with the eyes of a child.

“He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them.  And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. -Matthew 18:2-4  

 As I slowly dozed off, I picture myself in the arms of my Savior; surrendering all my burdens to him who was, and is and always will be. My Lord, Yeshua my rescuer, The Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, Christ the anointed one…. Emmanuel…. God with us.....Jesus.

 May we all be able to come to Jesus as little children; no matter how big and strong, intellectually advanced or mature we are. I pray that we never feel out of his reach or beyond his care. He calls each of us to him as little children. I pray we always heed his call. 

-Pastor Patti

Comments

Popular Posts