Remember the hope

 

The other day I was doing my usual dusting and vacuuming. Each time I move items and shift furniture to get under them and around them. As I do, my mind wanders and contemplates a million other things than what I am actually doing. My mind moves through all the plans and decisions and worries that lay heavy on my heart.  I’m on “auto pilot”. 

As I was dusting my hutch and moving around my Nativity pieces my mind was a million miles away…. until I looked right below the pieces and saw the word HOPE. Ironically at that moment I had baby Jesus in my hand.

Yes, it is March right now…. but I keep a Nativity out all year long. The purpose of that for me is to remember the gift of Christ. To be able to glance at the Nativity throughout the year and be reminded of the prophetic voices, angelic visits, virgin birth, work of the Holy Spirit and the promises of a coming King.

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”-Isaiah 9:6

But I had become all too accustomed to this Nativity. It was not longer standing out among the other parts of my home, but had fallen to becoming just “part” of it. My plan to be “reminded” had seemingly failed. Isn’t it that way sometimes with our faith? Those moments of triumph and grace when we are focused on God…. only to become lulled into the complacency of the world around us? The times we shift to “auto Pilot” in our lives.

As I moved the figures aside in my cleaning ritual, I realized something. We sometimes raise triumphant celebration in December, only to slowly forget the promise and HOPE of Christ in the coming months that follow. I had moved and shifted each piece while lost in thought. I had held in my hand the wise men, Mary, Joseph and now Jesus…. yet not regarded them as anything more than the peripheral to my own thoughts.

As I held the tiny Jesus figure in my hand and glanced at the word HOPE I felt a surg deep within me. Forgive me Lord. Forgive me for ever putting you in the peripheral of my life. Even in the simplicity of my thoughts. Thank you for the reminder that you are the HOPE of the world. May I never become so accustomed to your presence that I haphazardly work around you in my day-to-day life. That I become aware when I am carrying burdens you have promised to carry with me and worries that you lovingly remind me to put down.

I pray as we move through this season of Lent, we continue to celebrate the baby in the manger. Our Savior and Lord Jesus. That as we navigate our lives and all the circumstances, they bring, we keep Jesus in the forefront and remember the HOPE which is in Him.

“And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.”-Luke 2:10

 

-Pastor Patti


Comments

Popular Posts