Eyes to See

What do you see in the picture? Does the image jump out at you or is it a combination of shapes?

This was made for me by a precious person from my church. When I first looked at it I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. I panicked a little bit because I was sure there was a meaningful picture that I was completely missing. I was correct.

As I allowed the panic to fade, my eyes took on a new focus, and I saw him. Jesus.

My eyes poured over the curves of his nose to his eyes and the expression on his face. Peace.

I could hear his words “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

I brought this carving to my office and put it in a place I could glance at it often. 

As I look at it I wonder if the way we see the world is much like my experience looking at this beautiful carved piece of wood for the first time. When we look into the world do we miss Him? Do we see lines and shapes that have no meaning? Do we sometimes panic trying to find the meaning in the world, when it is right there in front of us? Do we try to make sense of the things we see and experience, only to fall short in our understanding?

I believe we do. I believe we often fail to see Jesus right I front of us. This beautiful carving helps remind me of this.

John says in Revelation upon seeing Jesus, When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” Rev 1:17-18

In the sorrow, He is there.

In the uncertainty, He is there.

In the confusion, He is there.

In the difficulty, He is there.

How different might the world be to us, if only we could see Jesus in it. Sometimes we get so caught up in the bad, the difficult, the sorrow and the pain, that we stop seeing Him.

We miss the kind gesture. We ignore the small miracle. We pass the beauty around us, failing to see Him. Jesus.

He’s all around us in this uncertain, confusing, difficult world. He’s in the hug of a friend, the kind words of a stranger, the smile of a store clerk. He’s in the budding flower, the crisp blue sky, and the bright green leaves of the tree. He’s in the babies laugh, the forgiving gesture and the calming peace of a spring day.

He’s right in front of us. Do you see Him? Take a breath, relax your eyes and let His image appear in front of you. He is there.

 



 

Comments

Popular Posts