Dear God

 

One day many years ago I found myself consumed in my thoughts. I was thinking about all the things going on in my life and those around me. I tried to compose a prayer request in my mind, but as each thought came to mind the “prayer” became more like a “compilation of worried thoughts”.

 These are those thoughts that keep you up at night. These are those thoughts that seem to go through the mind in a repetitive way, never resting or pausing; the kind of thoughts that just don’t seem to have anywhere to rest. They constantly revolve like a never ending carousel ride that you can’t get off of.

On this particular day of revolving thoughts I decided to do something I hadn’t tried before. I sat down and wrote all of these thoughts (aka worries) out on a piece of paper. I then took the peace of paper in my hand and said to God …

“Lord, there’s so much going on that I just can’t control. My mind has become consumed with worry and I just can’t carry all these burdens around, so I’m giving them to you Lord. You are God and I am not. Please be in each of these situations and thoughts as you lift this burden from me”

When I looked down at the paper with all of the things that had been consuming my mind, I felt strangely lighter. It was like when you are carrying something heavy and someone comes and takes it from you.

I realized that I had not only been burdened by the circumstances on my mind, but by the fact that I did not have a solution to them. When I gave them to the Lord there was a feeling of peace that came over me. My heart was still invested in the resolution of each issue, but my mind was free. I think I slept better that night than I had in a long time.

I tell this story because recently I stopped writing these carousel thoughts down. 

I started to feel the way you do when you go into the food store and tell yourself you don’t need a cart. You’re just going in to grab a couple of things and you’re sure you’ll be able to carry them yourself. But then inevitably you take on more items then planned and now you’re juggling unsuccessfully to get to the checkout line, where you feel the sudden release of stress as the items pour out of your arms and on to the checkout counter.

That’s what happens when we try to juggle these burden filled thoughts without laying them at Gods feet.

I realized I was “carrying” too much and I needed to lay it all down. I grabbed some paper and poured out my thoughts. One thing after another I gave to God. Each thing lifted up in prayer as my mind became lighter.

What do you need to “lay down” today? What have you been carrying around?

Matthew 11:28 Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”

Let today be a day of prayer and meditation in a still and quiet place where you can worship God alone. A place where you shut out all others voices of this world so you can hear what the Spirit is saying unto you. Pour it out on paper and give it to God.

God asks you to come to Him and lay down the burdens you have carried for too long.  God is calling you to be healed and blessed today.

-Pastor Patti

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts