A Time of Thanks

 


“Thank You” or “Thanks” has become a part of our dialogue and interaction with others. Most of us probably remember being told as a child or telling our children “Say thank you!” The words themselves have become a form of etiquette and appropriateness; and there lies a problem.

When anything becomes simply something we do out of habit, expectation or appropriateness it loses something.

I remember a professor of mine handing out a big exam we were all dreading. As he passed them out people repeatedly said “Thank you”. He stopped, laughed and said “You’re all saying thank you as I hand you this exam, but I’m not sure you really mean it!” We laughed because it was true.

Faith can become a habit or an expectation in our lives. Going to church and saying our prayers can become something we do out of ritual instead of true devotion.

I was reading Revelation the other day and came upon the words of Jesus spoken to the church of Laodicia. I had read them before but in the moment I was taken aback by them.

“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other!  But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! –Revelation 3:15

The church had lost its enthusiasm and intentionality. God’s people were going through the motions.

That scripture has been on my mind as we go into Thanksgiving and then our beloved season of Advent. As always the Christmas decorations are in the stores and I already see some of my neighbors and friends have their trees up.

We fall into step at the church as we plan our music and worship time; we schedule fun Advent events and festive gatherings.

And as we pull out our decorations from years past I wonder…….are we hot, cold or somewhere in between? Are we going through the motions? Where are our hearts as we untangle the lights and bring out the candles? Are we functioning in habit or heart?

My prayer is that we pause and ask ourselves this question… “Where is my heart this season?”

In some ways my heart has been weary. It’s been a long year for most of us and the hope of things to come at times lays heavy in the air, but I want to allow my heart to be filled with the hope of our Savior.

As we pull out the decorations and hang the lights do we remember for whom we celebrate? Do we anticipate only presents and parties, or in our hearts do we hold a thankfulness for a baby that came to save us? A Savior that gave His life for us?

I want to be sincerely thankful this season. I want to acknowledge Jesus not just out of habit or Christian etiquette…. But with intentionality and genuine adoration.

I think of the Song “Oh Holy Night” and I can’t help but identify with a particular line in the lyrics.

“A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

May we all move into this coming time of Advent with a thrill of hope! If our hearts are weary may we look beyond ourselves to a new and glorious morn! 

And may our hearts be truly thankful to God for sending His one and only Son to us. May that tiny baby in a manger bring new hope as we step into this sacred time of Advent.

 

-Pastor Patti

 

 

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts