Encouragement

 

Today is a cloudy day where I live. As I type that sentence I realize there’s something profound about it. 
It is actually cloudy in the aspect of weather. The sun is muted by the clouds. The light is dim. But there's more.

I walked around my house slowly turning the lights on to make things a bit brighter.

It also feels cloudy in other ways. The world events hover like clouds above us all. War, financial strain, loss of life and future uncertainty mute the light of our lives in many ways.

I pulled up the five day forecast on my computer and was happy to see that there will be sun after a few stormy days. I then opened up my bible and searched for the same reassurance for our world. 

I pictured in amusement typing the question into my search engine. “What is the five day forecast Lord?” “What is the ten day, monthly or yearly forecast for this world God?”

I turned to my favorite verse which is earmarked and underlined in my bible. The page is also wrinkled by water marks made from tears that had fallen in past times of trouble, while my eyes read these reassuring words.

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” ~ Isaiah 41:10    

And then I turned to another…

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” ~ Matthew 6:34

And another…

“Tell everyone who is discouraged, Be strong and don’t be afraid! God is coming to your rescue…” ~ Isaiah 35:4

Before I knew it, I was getting an answer just as clear as my five-day weather forecast. There is hope for the future.

These words brought light into my heart the way the lights in my house lit up the room on this gloomy day.

God is with us in the sun and in the rain. He holds us up when we’re afraid to step into the next day for fear of what it might bring.

That last scripture inspired this blog today. “Tell everyone who is discouraged, Be strong and don’t be afraid!” I thought about the fact that I couldn't remember what had evoked those past tears which had wrinkled the pages of my bible. There have been many sunny days since, that have caused that time to seem so far away.

So, I say that to you today. Don’t be afraid. Truly know in your heart that God is with you.

“Weeping may last through the night,
    but joy comes with the morning.-Psalm 30:5

The rain does not last forever and neither will this season. The sun will return. Hope will prevail. God has you, and this world in His hands, and He’s not letting go.

-Pastor Patti

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts