Giants & Chaos

 

This past week I was part of our communities National Day of Prayer. Several Pastors from our community lead the way through prayers for family, business, education, military, government and schools. This prayer time took place at our community “Events Center”.

I thought about that as I pulled into the parking lot. Praying at an “Events Center”. Prayer is an Event! The dictionary says an event is a “thing that happens, especially one of importance.” I certainly agree with that. The problem is that it doesn’t happen often enough in our busy burdened lives.

I arrived early to see if they needed help with anything. The band was practicing so I walked around this beautiful building that I had never been in before. Within minutes of being there I was drawn to a back room whose walls were all windows looking out over a beautiful lake.

I had been moving through my day with a heavy heart; carrying what felt like the burdens of the word; almost holding my breath in anticipation of that next thing to come my way.

There were cranes feeding and cardinals making themselves comfortable in the branches outside these huge towering windows.

I took a deep breath as I took in the view. In that moment the song that the band was practicing broke through my burdened thoughts.

“Focused on your promise, but still see the giants in the midst of chaos. I will look through eyes of faith even when the wars rage, I know it’s not my battle. Your spirit goes before me so every enemy must bow.”- (Mountains Move by Every Nation Music)

Not only did the melody of this song break through my thoughts-but the lyrics disarmed me.

“Focused on your promise, but still see the giants in the midst of chaos” -Yes Lord! I still see the giants! Those lyrics very much articulated my feelings in that moment.

I had been focused on the “giants in my midst” but not on Gods promise.

Isaiah 41:10 “fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!”

Deuteronomy 31:8 Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”

John 16:33 “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

I don’t know who else needs to hear this today-but “Focus on His promise”.

The giants might still be there. The chaos may continue to swirl around you, but don’t focus on that. “I will look through eyes of faith even when the wars rage, I know it’s not my battle.” The world changes when we look at it through eyes of faith.

The view of the tranquil lake helped me to change my focus and see the beauty around me. What are you looking at? If it’s the giants and the chaos take a moment to re-focus.

The beauty of Gods promise is there amidst the giants and chaos. Sometimes we just have to change our focus and attention. The chaos draws us in…but Gods promises are like a lifeline pulling us out of the storm and towards his peace.

Focus on His promise. His Spirit goes before us!

 

-Pastor Patti

 You can listen to the song I've referenced here: Mountains Move-By Every Nation

 

Comments

  1. Wonderful devotional for my Saturday! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you connected with it. Blessings!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts