Above the Waves

 

I grew up on Long Island, so going to the beach was a big part of our summer fun. We would barely get our feet in the sand before we were dashing off to jump into the waves.

Some days the water was more inviting than others. Some days the waves were gentle and rhythmic, while other days brought them crashing in faster and faster.

Swimming in the ocean is very different than taking a swim in the pool. You are not just dealing with wave height and their rhythm; the ground beneath your feet can change in one step. Before you know it you can go from easily keeping your head above water, to struggling to keep your head above the waves.

There were several times growing up when the water was choppy and the waves large and relentless. I remember a few times becoming overcome by the waves in an instant. One minute I was riding the waves into the shore and the next moment my foot would step off a sand bar bringing the water up over my head. In an attempt to regain my footing I panicked; because besides the drop in ground the waves continued to cause swells crashing right over my head. I felt overwhelmed.

If you’re a beach goer you might understand this scenario. In these moments we align with a greater respect for the ocean. We become humbled by the power of the waves and more aware of our footing.

Life can be like these ocean experiences as well. One minute were playing in the waves and the next we’re overcome by them. One wave after the next washes over us and we can’t seem to be able to catch a breath.

There’s a feeling of vulnerability and smallness in those moments. Regardless of how well we may swim or how long we’ve been familiar to the beach waves, these moments still take us off guard.

Regardless of how much we might feel we have our lives together….our ducks in a row…life can take us off guard.

I experienced that these past several weeks.

My father died suddenly causing difficult family conversations and decisions.

The challenging thing is that life itself does not stop when we lose a loved one. We move forward and deal with all the other life events going on in the midst of our grief. Much like the ocean wave scenario the waves of life continue to come as we try to find the rhythm to pull in the next breath.

As my heart began to heal from the passing of my father, another wave came. Our family came down with Covid. I ended up catching it from my son and my husband caught it from me. For two weeks we three overlapped trying to care for each other and recover. I missed important meetings, events and obligations. My life seemed to stand still.

In the midst of it all I thought of those relentless ocean waves. Those moments in the sea when we become overcome by the waves, seemed an appropriate illustration to life.

Sometimes we can align with their rhythm and other times they come faster than we can grab a breath.

There’s scripture that comes to mind for these times. They’re an important reminder of God’s presence when the waves of life overwhelm us.

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.”-Isaiah 43:2

“He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.-Psalm 107.29

“Be still and know that I am God”-Psalm 46:10

One of the first directions given regarding getting caught in difficult waters or knocked down by strong waves and currents is not to panic. We keep our eye on the shoreline and calmly work our way back.

It can be overwhelming when life hands you one situation after the next without a moment to take a breath, but in those moments we are reminded that God gives us HIS strength in those difficult times. HIS breath.

God is our shoreline. We work our way to Him where we can find rest.

What is coming at you faster than you can breathe? What waves have knocked you down?  Are you focused on the waves and living in a sense of dread?

Life, like the ocean can be both beautiful and overwhelming at times. It’s unpredictable and sometimes unreliable. Look to the shoreline. It’s closer than you think. God is right there working to calm the storms of your life. Seek Him. Fix your eyes on Him. Calmly work your way back to Him. Allow HIS breath to fill you.

-Pastor Patti

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts