Prone to Wander

 

“It is senseless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, fearing you will starve to death; for God wants his loved ones to get their proper rest.”-Psalm 127:2

It’s an interesting fact that sheep don’t like to lie down. It is rare that you see a sheep in a state of rest.

It’s also interesting that in scripture we’re often referred to as sheep. We as people can find it hard to be in a state of rest. If we’re not rushing, we’re wandering from one thing to the next.

One way or another we often learn that if we don’t voluntarily slow down, God many times, will give us reason to. He’s very creative in the ways in which he captures our attention.

When we’re aligned with God we quickly learn that part of that experience is taking time to rest.  Not only does a time of rest do our bodies good, but our spirits as well.

Here lies the question “Is it well with your soul?” Is your spirit restless? Are you running ahead forgetting that God goes before you?

Psalm 127:2 says, It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones.

God wants you to give up your tendency to roam, to wander, to veer off course, like the sheep in the pasture.

Restlessness leads to exhaustion—to physical, emotional, and spiritual fatigue. And you need more than sleep to cure those last two. Wandering leads to fatigue as well, but more in the form of frustration and lack of purpose.

 

One of the Hebrew names of God is Jehovah Shalom, which means “I am the God of peace.” Jesus says in John 14:27, “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid” (NLT).

When God says he’s giving us a gift, he’s telling us it’s something we don’t have to work for to get. It’s not even a gift we necessarily deserve, but it is a gift that we need to accept.

Jesus see’s you; your weariness, your discouragement, your struggle. He also sees you moving from moment to moment, thing to thing, and issue to issue; trying to fix everything yourself.

Jesus asks: “Are you tired?” “Are you worn thin?” “Slow down” “stop running and fall into my arms.” “Walk with me” “watch what I do” “set yourself to my rhythm” “My way is light” “When you walk with me life won’t feel so heavy.”(Paraphrase of Matthew 11:28-30)

This time of Lent is a time to align ourselves with Christ. It’s a time to pay attention to his rhythm. It’s a time to change our pace to his.

Did you ever take a walk with someone and feel yourself adjusting to their pace?

I’m from New York and for the longest time people would tell me I walk like a New Yorker; always in a rush!

So many times when my husband and I go on vacation we begin our time away with a walk around our surroundings. Every time on that first day of vacation, we catch ourselves walking like there’s someplace to urgently be. We then laugh and slow our pace down. We call it vacation pace.

Our daily pace can be called “Jesus Pace”; moving with intentional peace.

Having Jesus’ peace filled pace does not take away our problems; but when we intentionally slow down our pace it reminds us who is in charge.

Are you ready to find rest in God? The first step toward rest is to make peace with God by accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Stop your wandering. You can start with this simple prayer:

 “Jesus, I confess my sin, and I believe you are my Savior. I trust you when you say salvation comes by grace, through faith, and not by anything I do. I ask you to come into my life as my Lord. Today, I commit my life to you. I want to live the way you created me to live—at peace and rested—and to use the remainder of my life to serve you. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”

Take a deep breath. This isn’t a race. Pick up your bible and start to dive into scripture. Sit in the gospels and you’ll soon start to understand this pace that Jesus walks in. There is no rushing. There is no wandering.

Just like walking with a friend you’ll soon find yourself adjusting your pace to his.

He walks beside you.

-Pastor Patti

 

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts