Whose Hand are You Holding?

 

Faith and fear want the same things from us. They both want us to have a perception of the future. Faith wants us to feel peace in the future, fear wants us to worry about the future.

Those are two very different things with the same goal; to captivate our thoughts. Two very different perspective drivers that want to lead us to very different places. Both have a destination in mind.

Like getting into a cab in Mid-Town Manhattan, the first question the cabbie will ask you is “Where you going?”  

Our thoughts are like cab rides bringing us to different places. We have a choice where we want to go.

Our mind is continuously bombarded with random thoughts. These thoughts can be positive or negative. They can be encouraging or filled with temptation. Although we’re not responsible for the negative thoughts that pop into our minds; we are accountable to what we do with them. Do we entertain them? Do we become captivated by them? Do we become captive to them?

2 Corinthians 10:5 says “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”

The scripture tells us not to become captive to our thoughts... but to take our thoughts captive! Paul is reminding us that we have a choice as to where we let our minds wander. We have a choice as to what direction we let our thoughts go.

The apostle Paul in Colossians 3:1-2 said, “Since, then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”

I have a confession to make. This can be a struggle for me at times. I can sometimes easily be taken captive by worry. I can at times focus on all that can go wrong instead of all that can be right. We all have different reasons for our propensity to worry. For me I believe it stems back to feeling blind sided at an early age.

One day on a very ordinary day in my sixth year of life my mother was taken from me suddenly. Her death was a complete surprise to not only me, but my whole family. I was very much blindsided by this event that happened so early on in my life.

When you’ve been blindsided you take on a strong desire to never let it happen again. You want to make sure you see that next thing coming from a mile away. You want to make sure you are braced and ready for what life throws at you, so you grab on to the worse case scenarios of every situation.

This might at first glance seem like a very proactive way to approach life’s challenges, but in fact, it is not. Because the art of anticipation most often morphs itself into the art of worry.

We all have different levels of worry in our lives. Some of us can move through life with a carefree attitude of trust. Others like myself have to consciously work at taking our thoughts captive, as Paul advises.

Here’s where faith comes in. Faith isn’t focused on weather or not we’re “prepared” to handle the next difficulty coming our way. Faith says “I’ve got this”. Faith says “You’re not alone”. Faith says “You’ll get through this.” Faith tells us that in every moment; in every situation; in every circumstance there is the potential for peace.

In Philippians 4:8 Paul tells us we’re to think about whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy. Although this takes discipline, controlling our thoughts is possible with the Lord’s help. 

Think back to the difficult times of life. In hindsight we can always see the peace. When we look back we can see the helpers, the caregivers, the friendships and the peace that surpasses all understanding.

I often picture the cab scenario I mentioned earlier when faced with the option to worry.

When life asks “Where you going?” I have a choice.

Jesus’ knows worry can get the best of us. That’s why he said Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.-Matthew 6:34

Instead of anticipating being blindsided by life I always try to remember a picture I saw many years ago that really moved me. It was a picture of Jesus holding the hand of a little girl. In that picture I remembered how at peace I felt as a child holding on to my parent’s hand as we walked. I didn’t know where we were going. I didn’t know what was going to happen next. All I knew was that I was safe holding their hand. This picture reminded me that Jesus holds our hand through life when we chose faith over fear.

Jesus is holding your hand. It does not matter what is coming next. It does not matter where you are going. It does not matter what life is bringing your way.

It’s this childlike faith that has incredible power.

When I find myself fixating on things to come, I remember this image. I remember that Jesus had my hand those years ago bringing me through difficulty and he still has it today.

He has your hand too.

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
    Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
    I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

-Isaiah 41:10

Comments

Popular Posts